Sunday, October 5, 2014

Lemon Polenta Cake




I’m not a great cake fan.  In many ways, I’m happy about this, because if I were a fan of anything else edible, I think I might be in very serious trouble.

But I am a lemon fan – so this is another  wonderful way to serve that glorious fruit. And my kids love it, which is always a surprise!


You need:

1 ¼ cups cake flour (if you want to use Spelt Flour, which is gluten free, then that is also fine.)
1 ¼ cups sugar
½ cup polenta
½ t Bicarb
½ t salt
170ml Buttermilk
¼ cup Olive oil
2 large eggs
1 t vanilla essence
Juice and grated peel of 1 lemon

Mix the flour, sugar, polenta, bicarb and salt together in one bowl.  In another bowl mix Buttermilk, Olive oil, eggs, vanilla essence and lemon rind and juice well together.  Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix well. 

Pour the batter into a well-greased 20 – 22cm spring-form baking tin and bake for 30 – 40 minutes (depending on your oven).  The cake should be browned, but not dry.  Let it cool for about 10 minutes in the pan before allowing it to cool completely on a wire rack.


I put some home-made Lemon Curd on mine.  You could also make an icing  by mixing the juice of half a lemon with about 1 ½ cups of sifted icing sugar and then adding as much water as you think is necessary.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED it! Seriously, went right on my favorites list. The glaze was amazing. Thanks so much for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved by the whole family - my son wanted me to bake it for his 6th birthday! I adjusted to a fan oven and while it does sink a little in the middle - looks and tastes amazing!

    Wait till you see Shoretel Vendors

    ReplyDelete